Compiling Mandos Deb packages from bzr

Teddy Hogeborn teddy at recompile.se
Wed Nov 2 18:32:13 CET 2016

Paul Schulz <paul at mawsonlakes.org> writes:

> FYI, some notes from my process.
>  - The list of build dependencies that I needed to do the build were:
>     build-essential  bzr bzr-builddeb \
>     debhelper docbook-xml docbook-xls libavahi-core-dev \
>     libgpgme11-dev xsltproc libnl-route-3-dev libgnutls28-dev

There are some more non-essential packages required, but I guess you
probably had those installed already.

> When installing 'mandos' on Ubuntu 16.04, I needed the additional
> package: python-urwid
> When installing 'mandos-client' I needed
>   cryptsetup (duh!)
>   libavahi-core7
>   libgpgme11
>   liblsan0
>   libnl-route-3-200
>   dpkg-dev

Yes, package installation dependencies was not a thing I covered in my
package compilation instructions.

> While is wasn't prompted for at install, the postinst script
> complained about not having 'certtool' which is in the 'gnutls-bin'
> package. mandos-client appeared to work with or without this package.

That's harmless.  It also works with openssl, which you probably already
had installed, so it fell back to that.  The reason it first tries to
use certtool is that it is significantly faster (in my experience) at
generating DH parameters.

> I'm not sure if it's required or not, but once mandos was installed,
> and a client added to /etc/mandos/clients.conf I needed to enable the
> client with 'mandos-ctl -e clientname'. I could not see this mentioned
> in the documentation anywhere.

That should *not* be necessary.  Maybe it failed some checker processes
and timed out?

/Teddy Hogeborn

--
The Mandos Project