sysvinit instead of systemd?

Olivier Molinete olivier at molinete.org
Thu Apr 3 10:07:13 CEST 2014

Hi Teddy,

Thanks for your answer. I've never heard anything about the bug you
mention, but it is good to know...

What I tried to know with my first message is: Can mandos 1.6.4 be
installed in a Debian's stable branch (wheezy) without systemd as in
version 1.5.5 that exist in Debian's official repositories?

In the 1.5.5 version, there's no need to install Systemd, and mandos
works fine under sysvinit, but I would like to use the 1.6.4 version (or
higher) if it is possible.

The Systemd package for Debian Wheezy (stable) is not polished as in
testing branch (called Jessie), or even sid branch, and I don't want to
update the whole operating system to these versions only to have mandos
running well using systemd.

There's any chance to use latest stable version of mandos without using
systemd and keeping the old (and good) sysvinit?

Thank you once again in advance.

Greetings from Spain! :)
Olivier Molinete

On 01/04/2014 22:41, Teddy Hogeborn wrote:

>> Maybe systemd is needed by mandos-monitor tool, but I wanted to ask to the Creators anyway for a confirmation :)
>
> Nothing in Mandos itself depends on systemd. I put the package
> dependency there late last year to fix Debian bug #731618
> <http://bugs.debian.org/731618 [1]>. The bug basically suggests depending
> on a newer version of avahi-daemon than the one which exists in Debian
> stable, but I wanted a way out for those running stable, so I added an
> alternative dependency on systemd, since systemd was unaffected by the
> bug. However, it turned out that we still needed a workaround, so three
> weeks later I added some code to mandos.postinst to work around the same
> issue. However, this made the package dependency redundant, but I did
> not realize this until some time after the last release (1.6.4). I
> strongly suspect we could just remove the dependency of mandos on
> "avahi-daemon (>= 0.6.31-3) | systemd-sysv", but I have not tested this.
>
> So, a few options for you:
>
> 1. Force installation despite the dependency.
>
> 2. Remove the dependency from the package prior to installation, perhaps
> by opening a binary package, or by getting the source, patching it
> and building your own package.
>
> 3. Force installation, and remove the dependency from
> /var/lib/dpkg/status (this should be easier than editing a binary
> package).
>
> 4. Wait for us to test, commit and release a version without this
> dependency.
>
>> Thank you for your support in advance and for your efforts on this great tool ;)
>
> Thank you!
>
> /Teddy Hogeborn
>
> --
> The Mandos Project