sysvinit instead of systemd?

Teddy Hogeborn teddy at recompile.se
Tue Apr 1 22:41:14 CEST 2014

Olivier Molinete <olivier at molinete.org> writes:

> I been using mandos for some weeks now, and I'm very happy with it.

Happy to hear it!

> So, my question is simple: There is exists any method to AVOID mandos
> installs systemd and doesn't deinstalls (old good and stable) sysvinit
> instead?
[...]
> Maybe systemd is needed by mandos-monitor tool, but I wanted to ask to
> the Creators anyway for a confirmation :)

Nothing in Mandos itself depends on systemd.  I put the package
dependency there late last year to fix Debian bug #731618
<http://bugs.debian.org/731618>.  The bug basically suggests depending
on a newer version of avahi-daemon than the one which exists in Debian
stable, but I wanted a way out for those running stable, so I added an
alternative dependency on systemd, since systemd was unaffected by the
bug.  However, it turned out that we still needed a workaround, so three
weeks later I added some code to mandos.postinst to work around the same
issue.  However, this made the package dependency redundant, but I did
not realize this until some time after the last release (1.6.4).  I
strongly suspect we could just remove the dependency of mandos on
"avahi-daemon (>= 0.6.31-3) | systemd-sysv", but I have not tested this.

So, a few options for you:

1. Force installation despite the dependency.

2. Remove the dependency from the package prior to installation, perhaps
   by opening a binary package, or by getting the source, patching it
   and building your own package.

3. Force installation, and remove the dependency from
   /var/lib/dpkg/status (this should be easier than editing a binary
   package).

4. Wait for us to test, commit and release a version without this
   dependency.

> Thank you for your support in advance and for your efforts on this
> great tool ;)

Thank you!

/Teddy Hogeborn

--