Key sharing

Dick Middleton dick at lingbrae.com
Sun Jul 17 14:21:19 CEST 2022

On 7/17/22 09:44, Dick Middleton wrote:

> So I've reverted to using initramfs-tools and at least I can boot.  However it no longer
> unlocks the swap partition;  it prompts me separately.
>
> My crypttab looks like this:
>
> # root
> md1-crypt UUID=xxxx boot luks,keyscript=/lib/cryptsetup/scripts/decrypt_keyctl
>
> # sleep
> sleep UUID=yyyy boot luks,keyscript=/lib/cryptsetup/scripts/decrypt_keyctl
>
> I'm using mandos-client  version 1.8.14 on stable aka bullseye!  kernel is  5.10.0-16-amd64

It does not seem to use the decrypt_keyctl script for the "sleep" partition.  With the
root partition it asks "Caching passphrase for md1-crypt:" but for "sleep" it asks:
"Please enter passphrase for disk xxx (sleep):".  The latter is not from decrypt_keyctl.

In between the 2 messages it runs a systemd generator for each of the partitions
(md1-crypt and sleep) to produce systemd-cryptsetup@ services.  No doubt that's where the
"Please enter ..." message comes from.

So it's a bit of a mess.  What do I do to fix it?

Dick

Dick Middleton  dick at lingbrae.com