CPU and RAM consumption

Florian Coulmier Florian.Coulmier at vadesecure.com
Tue Jan 21 18:54:13 CET 2020

Hi,

We use mandos on a large number of servers (more than 300).
We observe that mandos server consume a lot of CPU and RAM when it schedules
checks of all clients.
We run mandos v1.7.19 on 1 server and mandos v1.8.9 on another (configuration is
the same).
On a 2 CPU server, we see pikes at 75% usage (45% user, 30% system). In regular
situation, CPU usage is 0%.
These pikes last 3 minutes on v1.8.9 and there's 1,5 minute interval between
each pike.
On v1.7.19, the pikes last 1,5 minutes and there's 30 seconds interval between
each pike.

The servers have 4GB memory each. We see pikes in memory too.
In normal situation, memory usage is 320MB.
Pikes happen at the same time than CPU pikes. We see memory usage increase up to
2.8GB.

We observed that the pikes increase as we add more servers in mandos
configuration file.

The checker we use is "ssh-keyscan".

I was wondering if this level of CPU/RAM consumption is expected or is it a bad
configuration/setup on our side?

From what I understand all the checks of clients are performed at the same time.
If checks was distributed at different time interval, do you think it could reduce
The load on system?

Thank you

Florian Coulmier