Mandos-Dev Digest, Vol 52, Issue 1

Bryon Roche kain at kain.org
Tue Jan 7 12:23:50 CET 2020

On Tue, Jan 7, 2020 at 12:00 pm, mandos-dev-request at recompile.se wrote:

> Message: 1
> Date: Mon, 6 Jan 2020 13:07:40 +0100
> From: Henning Reich <mandos at qupfer.de>
> To: mandos-dev at recompile.se
> Subject: Ubunutu 19.10 (setsid not found)
>
> Hi,
> maybe someone can help for a "elegant" solution ;-)
>
> I'm trying to get an unattended boot of a fresh installed Ubuntu
> 19.10.
> The basic setup works. I mean:
> But if I boot it, I got an error:
> /scripts/init-premount/mandos: line 180: setsid: not found

Setsid is part of util-linux, so it should be present on pretty much
every debian system.  You (and the package developers) will likely need
to petition to get setsid re-added as a busybox applet for
initramfs-tools' busybox.  In the meantime, you can add an
initramfs-tools hook to add setsid and libc to the initramfs (or a
bigger busybox like from the busybox-static package).  I haven't
reviewed the current initramfs, maybe in newer debian/ubuntu the
workflow that needs setsid could also be different, but probably not,
since mandos wants to effectively start a daemon at early-boot time.
It will increase your initramfs size considerably, but on a regular
ubuntu system they're not exactly small anyway, so I'd go with writing
a hook or whatnot (as detailed in initramfs-tools docs) to add
util-linux's setsid and libc6 to your initramfs.