Ubuntu 16.04 Compatibility

Teddy Hogeborn teddy at recompile.se
Sun Nov 20 20:03:48 CET 2016

James Hilliard <james.hilliard1 at gmail.com> writes:

> I've been trying to get the mandos client to work with Ubuntu 16.04 64
> bit server but the client seems to always hang on a completely blank
> screen when booting up(I have to go into rescue and uninstall it to be
> able to boot). I've tried the version that is packaged by Ubuntu and
> have built from source and both have the same problem.
>
> When testing manually from within Ubuntu using
> /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/mandos/plugins.d/mandos-client it seems to
> work fine and returns the password. I'm guessing there's something
> incompatible with the initramfs plugin.
>
> Anything else I should try that might get it to boot?

I recommend using the latest version of Mandos.  In addition to the
standard instructions on the web page for getting the latest source
code, here are additional instructions specifically for building on
Ubuntu 16.04:

# Install build dependencies
sudo apt-get install bzr bzr-builddeb build-essential debhelper docbook-xml docbook-xsl libavahi-core-dev libgpgme11-dev libgnutls28-dev xsltproc pkg-config libnl-route-3-dev

# Try to build - this will fail with "*.tar.gz.pgp has unknown extension"
bzr builddeb --builder='debuild -i -us -uc -b'

# Remove the offending file
rm ../build-area/mandos_*.orig.tar.gz.pgp

# Try to build again - this should succeed
bzr builddeb --builder='debuild -i -us -uc -b'

/Teddy Hogeborn

--
The Mandos Project
https://www.recompile.se/mandos