Mandos-client doesn't discover server, only explicit connection works

Erik Logtenberg erik at logtenberg.eu
Thu Aug 7 17:09:46 CEST 2014

> Can the client host "see" the server by running this command?
>
> $ avahi-browse --terminate --resolve _mandos._tcp
>
> This is basically what the client does to find the server.  If the
> server cannot be found with the above command, the client cannot find
> the server.  If the above command does *not* work, what happens if you
> run it *on the server*?  I.e. is the server announcing itself as a
> ZeroConf service at all?
>
> /Teddy Hogeborn

On both the client and the server, the command above gives no output.

Client:

[root at mandosclient ~]# avahi-browse --terminate --resolve _mandos._tcp
--verbose
Server version: avahi 0.6.31; Host name: mandosclient.local
E Ifce Prot Name                                          Type
       Domain
: Cache exhausted
: All for now

Server:

# avahi-browse --terminate --resolve _mandos._tcp --verbose
Server version: avahi 0.6.31; Host name: mandostest.local
E Ifce Prot Name                                          Type
       Domain
: Cache exhausted
: All for now

I do see the mandos and avahi processes on the server though:

_mandos  18060 /usr/bin/python /usr/sbin/mandos --foreground
_mandos  18065  \_ /usr/bin/python /usr/sbin/mandos --foreground
avahi    18076 avahi-daemon: running [mandostest.local]
avahi    18077  \_ avahi-daemon: chroot helper

What else can I do to further debug this?

Thanks,

Erik.