Mandos-client doesn't discover server, only explicit connection works

Teddy Hogeborn teddy at recompile.se
Sat Aug 2 00:02:43 CEST 2014

Erik Logtenberg <erik at logtenberg.eu> writes:

> I have set up two virtual machines to test mandos on Fedora 20. I have
> SELinux disabled and also no firewall (iptables has no rules, and
> default policy set to ACCEPT).
>
> The mandos client can succesfully retrieve its secret when I explicitly
> tell it to connect to the mandos-server, like so:
>
> # /usr/lib64/mandos/plugins.d/mandos-client -s
> /etc/mandos/keys/seckey.txt -p /etc/mandos/keys/pubkey.txt -c
> 192.168.4.240:49980
>
> However, without the -c option, mandos-client cannot find the server.
> They are both running in the same virtual network, both in the same
> 192.168.4.0/24 subnet, and can freely communicate.
>
> Debug output is like this:
[...]
> This just keeps going on. What can I do to debug this?

Can the client host "see" the server by running this command?

$ avahi-browse --terminate --resolve _mandos._tcp

This is basically what the client does to find the server.  If the
server cannot be found with the above command, the client cannot find
the server.  If the above command does *not* work, what happens if you
run it *on the server*?  I.e. is the server announcing itself as a
ZeroConf service at all?

/Teddy Hogeborn

--
The Mandos Project