Mandos on Fedora/RHEL

Teddy Hogeborn teddy at recompile.se
Wed Oct 30 22:17:09 CET 2013

"Nathanael D. Noblet" <nathanael at gnat.ca> writes:

> > How do we detect, in the Makefile, that we shouldn't use --owner?
> > Should we just try "install" without --owner if it fails with it?
>
> That would be great yes.

OK, fixed in trunk.

> > > LIBDIR=%{_libexec} make install and it installs to /usr/libexec
> >
> > I think /usr/libexec/mandos is wrong, because the binaries aren't
> > ever run by anything.  /usr/lib64/mandos is more correct, which it
> > should use now.
>
> So now that I was digging into dracut, and I think you are correct
> putting them in /usr/lib. Simply because its for the boot system. For
> the regular system in fedora 64 bit libraries go in lib64, binaries
> not intended to be called by a user go in libexec. However when I
> looked at a initramfs there were a bunch of program called binaries in
> /usr/lib. So um hopefully you didn't make any big changes on this
> part...

I haven't changed where the binaries go in the initramfs image - in the
hook for initramfs-tools it's still installed in /lib/mandos.  Having a
multi-arch initramfs image makes no sense what I can see.

I *have* changed where the binaries live in the regular system - they
now reside in /usr/lib64/mandos on a 64bit Fedora system.  Or, rather,
it uses the subdirectory "mandos" below the directory from the command
"rpm --eval='%{_libdir}'".

On Debian, they now reside in a subdirectory of /usr/lib, specifically
the "mandos" subdirectory in the directory name output by the command
"dpkg-architecture -qDEB_HOST_MULTIARCH".

This should give the correct result for all concerned.

/Teddy

--
The Mandos Project
http://www.recompile.se/mandos