Checker directive - debug info

Teddy Hogeborn teddy at recompile.se
Sat Jun 23 17:47:55 CEST 2012

Dick Middleton <dick at fouter.net> writes:

(Did you mean to reply to me only or did you intend for this to go to
the list?)

> > > 2012-06-22 21:45:50,749 root [5013]: INFO: Starting checker 'true' for Penguin-DSA
> > > Traceback (most recent call last):
> > >   File "/usr/sbin/mandos", line 1326, in start_checker
> > >     r = Client.start_checker(self, *args, **kwargs)
> > >   File "/usr/sbin/mandos", line 725, in start_checker
> > >     pid, status = os.waitpid(self.checker.pid, os.WNOHANG)
> > > OSError: [Errno 10] No child processes
> >
> > See, that's odd.  Twelve lines before that, a child process *was*
> > started, as logged by the debug message.  Even if the subprocess
> > exited before this line, there ought to have been a zombie process
> > with the exit status for waitpid() to read.  So I don't see how this
> > could ever happen.  I've added code to check for this in the latest
> > trunk, though.  Still, the question is: Where did the child process
> > go?
>
> I don't think I'd be changing code right now.  There's something very
> peculiar about all this.

I agree completely.  Very odd behavior all around.

> I'm wondering if it's running out of memory or some other
> limitation. Unfortunately right now it's not working at all as it
> won't reboot after power-off.

Something wicked is going on with that system, I think.

> BTW I'm getting those funny characters prefixing 'Mandos' in syslog
> with this system too.  That's two completely different systems and
> this is a brand new install.

It boggles my mind.  If the symptom could be reproduced outside the
Mandos server, perhaps by writing a Python script which simply creates a
logging object like the Mandos server does, then the bug could be
handled by the Python people, which probably have more cross-platform
debugging experience.

> Could there be a python version compatibility error of some sort?
> Mandos is running 2.7 but 3.2 is installed too.

Mandos is written for 2.X; 3.X won't work.  2.7 should be fine.

/Teddy Hogeborn

--
The Mandos Project
http://www.recompile.se/mandos