Some starting documents

Zenny garbytrash at gmail.com
Tue Dec 4 07:10:56 CET 2012

On 12/3/12, Dick Middleton <dick at fouter.net> wrote:
> On 12/03/12 20:40, Zenny wrote:
>> Hi again:
>>
>> I tried with completely new installations (single mandos-server and
>> single-client), and yet I could not figure out exactly why mandos is
>> not working. Both debian squeeze boxes.
>>
>> On mandos-monitor, I am getting:
>> "2012-12-03T21:33:27.142917: Checker for client debian64.domain.local
>> (command "f
>> ping -q -- debian64\.domain\.local") failed with exit code 2"
>>
>> Any inputs will be appreciated!
>
> What is that's telling you?  Is ping actually working?  Do you have a
> network
> connection?
>
> If you've got 2 VMs on one machine they won't know about each other unless
> you
> set up some sort of routing.  Are you using VirtualBox?  If so the default
> network interface is NAT.  It would be easier if you used bridged
> interfaces
> with either dhcp if that's what you have, to allocate IP addresses, or
> manually allocated on the same network as the host. Make sure these 2
> machines
> can talk to each other.

I use qemu with a bridge created with the script here
(http://wiki.qemu.org/Documentation/Networking/NAT#Script) which
creates a bridge and nat the network with dnsmasq. Very nifty script.
So there is no doubt that the machines are behind a NAT and see each
other, because they are under the same bridged network (br0).

> Also make sure ipv6 is working.  If ifconfig
> reports
> ipv6 addresses that should do.

Maybe this is the cause. I didn't enable ipv6 manually because none of
my network are ipv6, all ipv4 (both private and public).

Is it mandatory to have ipv6 enabled?