Some starting documents

Dick Middleton dick at fouter.net
Mon Dec 3 22:21:58 CET 2012

On 12/03/12 20:40, Zenny wrote:
> Hi again:
>
> I tried with completely new installations (single mandos-server and
> single-client), and yet I could not figure out exactly why mandos is
> not working. Both debian squeeze boxes.
>
> On mandos-monitor, I am getting:
> "2012-12-03T21:33:27.142917: Checker for client debian64.domain.local
> (command "f
> ping -q -- debian64\.domain\.local") failed with exit code 2"
>
> Any inputs will be appreciated!

What is that's telling you?  Is ping actually working?  Do you have a network
connection?

If you've got 2 VMs on one machine they won't know about each other unless you
set up some sort of routing.  Are you using VirtualBox?  If so the default
network interface is NAT.  It would be easier if you used bridged interfaces
with either dhcp if that's what you have, to allocate IP addresses, or
manually allocated on the same network as the host. Make sure these 2 machines
can talk to each other.  Also make sure ipv6 is working.  If ifconfig reports
ipv6 addresses that should do.

You must give us some information. The debug report in your last message was
just the initialization.  There was no interaction.   Also what happened on
the client?  Debug on both server and client please.

I'll help you if I can but at the moment I can only give uninformed guesses.

Dick