make install reports missing directories

Teddy Hogeborn teddy at recompile.se
Mon Nov 27 06:11:10 CET 2023

Erich Eckner <mandos at eckner.net> writes:

> I'm trying to package mandos for arch linux. I successfully ran
> `make`, but the `make install-server` afterwards complains about a lot
> of missing directories. I fixed it by replaying all `install`s by
> `install -D` in the Makefile - but now the compression of man pages
> fails with a similar issue: usr/share/man/man8/ does not exist. I had
> a look at the Makefile and I fail to see the target, that would create
> these directories. Does `debuild` really do this much magic and create
> all those directories? Or am I missing some preliminary step?

I think that those directories always exist on the systems we use.
What do other Arch packages do for similar man page files?  Do they
all create those directories?  Do they all use the same permissions
and ownership when creating them, and if they don't, won't an Arch
system have inconsistent permissions and ownership depending on which
packages they installed in what order?

> If I made a patch for the Makefile to include directory creation,
> would this be considered for inclusion?

Certainly.  But I wonder about always using -D; if a directory does
not exist, is it really the correct directory to use?  Which
directories, except /usr/share/man/man8, did not exist?

/Teddy Hogeborn

--
The Mandos Project
https://www.recompile.se/mandos