Mandos client on ubuntu 20.04 failed because cryptroot file is missing

Florian Coulmier Florian.Coulmier at vadesecure.com
Thu May 28 18:43:05 CEST 2020

Hi all,

We are trying to setup mandos on an Ubuntu 20.04. We are running into trouble because mandos seems not to start at boot.

Our investigation lead us to file /usr/share/initramfs-tools/hooks/cryptroot which has changed. This file does not generate a file /conf/conf.d/cryptroot in the initrd image.

This makes script /scripts/init-premount/mandos (from initrd image) fail as it requires file /conf/conf.d/cryptroot (line 54).

We tried to identify how to fix that, but we only came with a workaround: generate file cryptroot from file /etc/crypttab.

Do you see another solution?
We use mandos-client v1.7.19-1 from official ubuntu repo.

Thanks

Florian Coulmier