Unlock two root drives (for ZFS mirror)?

Mike Klein mike at kleinnet.com
Sat May 9 04:48:10 CEST 2020

I searched back a number of years in the archives and found only a vaguely a similar question asked and at least partly answered: https://mail.recompile.se/pipermail/mandos-dev/2016-July/000350.html <https://mail.recompile.se/pipermail/mandos-dev/2016-July/000350.html>.

I have just transitioned to running root on a ZFS 2-way mirror, LUKS-encrypting each underlying drive with the same passphrase. Previously I was running Linux RAID1 and encrypting the assembled RAID array, so only one decryption key was required.

What will the mandos client in initramfs do in this situation? Will it unlock both drives, in quick succession, one after the other (bringing up and down the network interfaces), or will it unlock just one? I want to have some idea of what to expect before rebooting in this configuration so I know what steps to take next.

Debian 10, Mandos 1.8.11.

Many thanks,

		-Mike