Debian buster package dependencies

Teddy Hogeborn teddy at recompile.se
Mon Dec 7 16:24:32 CET 2020

Munir Nassar <nassarmu at gmail.com> writes:

> I am trying to install mandos-client on Debian Buster 10.7, but one of
> the dependencies is dpkg-dev (>= 1.16.0), which pulls in an entire
> build environment and that seems rather excessive for a package that
> should not require local building. Is that intentional?

It is necessary, since we need some way to find the
architecture-dependent library directory ("/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu" on
amd64), and the only way I know of is to run the command
"dpkg-architecture -qDEB_HOST_MULTIARCH".  The dpkg-architecture command
only exists in the dpkg-dev package.

/Teddy Hogeborn

--
The Mandos Project