Secondary Partition Encryption

Teddy Hogeborn teddy at recompile.se
Tue Jul 12 16:32:56 CEST 2016

Clayton Daley <clayton at ambsw.com> writes:

> Would the stock version of Mandos work for just a secondary partition?
> For example if we only encrypted a "data" partition?

Yes, you could run mandos-client as a "keyscript" directly configured in
the /etc/crypttab file.  (See crypttab(5).)  But you would have to
configure this manually in /etc/crypttab after installation, and you may
have to write a wrapper script to supply the needed arguments to
mandos-client (--pubkey, --seckey, etc.) and use the wrapper script as
the actual keyscript in crypttab.

However, I think that systemd does not support the keyscript setting in
crypttab, so you would have to write a systemd "password agent" to run
mandos-client - this would be more complex, I think.

/Teddy Hogeborn

--
The Mandos Project
https://www.recompile.se/mandos