Client / Server communication issues

Teddy Hogeborn teddy at recompile.se
Sat Jan 18 02:02:32 CET 2014

Teddy Hogeborn <teddy at recompile.se> writes:

> "Nathanael D. Noblet" <nathanael at gnat.ca> writes:
>
> >   #1 - It seems the mandos client never stops trying to communicate
> > with a server. There seems to be only two ways for the client to end
> > communications - receiving a SIGTERM or getting the password. It
> > would seem good if we could ask the client to cease communicating
> > after a certain number of attempts. The current dracut crypt module
> > passes a number of tries for both the plymouth and consoles. One
> > thing to note this applies more to the long term servers like CentOS
> > and friends. As such I've created a patch as a proof of concept. I
> > actually haven't tested it because I'm getting stuck on the issue
> > below. However for dracut it might be nice to die after a
> > configurable number of tries.
>
> I could easily implement that; what is the normal command line switch
> for this?

Also, should this also apply when using --connect?  Today the servers
found using ZeroConf are tried an infinite number of times, but a server
specified using --connect is tried only *once*.  Should this be unified
or should the default number of tries be different?  To simplify things
I am leaning towards the former, even if it would be a change from past
behavior.

All you people using --connect, what do you think?

/Teddy Hogeborn

--
The Mandos Project
http://www.recompile.se/mandos