Initrd crypto error

Teddy Hogeborn teddy at recompile.se
Sun Sep 8 20:09:20 CEST 2013

Dick Middleton <dick at fouter.net> writes:

> 	I wonder if somebody could suggest how to fix this:
>
> I just updated my Debian system.  Mandos was working fine before.
>
> Mandos-client test still works fine if run from the command line.
>
> However when I boot initrd (initramfs-tools) complains:
>
> mandos plugin mandos-client: bad gpgme engine
>     check version GPGME: Invalid crypto engine.
> mandos plugin mando-client: init_gpgme failed.
>
> Obviously there's something missing or initramfs has picked up something
> wrongly.  I'm just not sure where to start looking.
>
> Any pointers would be appreciated.

If mandos-client works from the command line but not from the Initrd,
then there must be something wrong with the Initrd environment.  To find
out what is wrong with it, I would suggest two things:

1. Try to run mandos-client with the --debug option byt adding it to the
   /etc/mandos/plugin-runner.conf file (just uncomment the example
   line).

2. Boot with the extra Linux command line argument "break".  This will
   start a shell in the initrd, and mandos-client can the be run
   manually from the initrd to pinpoint the problem.

/Teddy Hogeborn

--
The Mandos Project
http://www.recompile.se/mandos