Server not answering client

Teddy Hogeborn teddy at recompile.se
Wed Aug 14 23:05:17 CEST 2013

twingles_consulting at verizon.net writes:

>  I have been unable to get your server to answer the client server in
> test mode and would prefer to do that before I make this production.
> I ran netstat -l and things appear to be listening, run tcpdump and
> the client appears to be sending requests, but the server never
> answers.
>
> When I run mandos-ctl, it says that the client is enabled and has been
> checked, and I have left the test running for up to an hour.
> No response.

You could also try mandos-monitor for an interactive view.

> I have changed the key type from DSA to RSA.
>
> Attached are the tcpdump listing, the netstat listing mandos.conf and
> the clients.conf from the server.

[...]
# Whether to provide a D-Bus system bus interface or not
use_dbus = False
[...]

Hmm, mandos-ctl (and mandos-monitor) needs the D-Bus interface.  But
there's a bug which makes the server ignore that setting anyhow, so this
shouldn't be the problem here.

> Any suggestions would be great. Hate to have thought the last 2 days
> are a waste.

Did you try running mandos-client from the command line as suggested in
/usr/share/doc/mandos-client/README.Debian?  If that works, it should
work at boot time too.

If it does not work, does the server announce itself as a ZeroConf
service?  On the client, try this:

    avahi-browse --terminate --resolve _mandos._tcp

If that does not work, try running mandos-client manually again, this
time using the --connect option.

[...]
address = ::FFFF:192.168.1.44
[...]
# Whether to use IPv6.  (Changing this is NOT recommended.)
;use_ipv6 = True
[...]

You might also try to change this, since you are trying to bind to an
IPv4 address.

/Teddy Hogeborn

--
The Mandos Project