FreedomBox with encrypted filesystem

Mandos Maintainers mandos at recompile.se
Sun Nov 6 03:41:45 CET 2011

We watched the video of your talk at Elevate 2011, which was very
interesting.  In it, you said "[...], if we do encrypt the filesystem,
then the thing cannot be rebooted remotely, which is a downside."

We would like to point out that we have written, starting in 2007, a
program called "Mandos", which fixes this problem.  The program is made
specifically for Debian and is in the official Debian distribution.

In short, it uses the local network to get the disk password, over an
encrypted channel.  (Conceptually, this transforms the password from
something you *know* into something you *have*.)  Depending on your
setup, you can have most of the convenience of unencrypted disks with
most of the security of encrypted disks; for details, see the manual:

http://www.recompile.se/mandos/man/intro.8mandos

The Mandos website:
http://www.recompile.se/mandos

/Teddy Hogeborn & Björn Påhlsson