[dm-crypt] Shared library for cryptsetup

Jürgen Pabel jpabel at akkaya.de
Sat Sep 26 00:39:05 CEST 2009

Dear Teddy (and everyone else),

I've read through the mandos documentation and looked at the relevant
sources. Here are my thoughts:

Adding a dedicated tokentube plugin is a no-go because there would be no
dedicated/unique input mechanism for tokentube (it would need to
communicate either via console, fifo, usplash or splashy and thus
collide with the other plugins). A possible solution would be to change
tokentube's implementation: instead of extending debian's askpass, I
could implement a new input interface for tokentube and have someone
implement a corresponding plugin for mandos. I don't really like this
approach - however, I think it's a viable solution if nothing better
comes along.

A seemingly practical approach would be to modify the "local" mandos
plugins (prompt, fifo, splashy & usplash) to detect whether tokentube is
installed (that's easy: check whether /etc/tokentube/ exists in the
initramfs) and if it is then prompt for both a username and password
(instead of just a password). Once both items are obtained each plugin
would need to call some tokentube functions to "convert" the credentials
into the tokentube authentication key that actually unlocks a LUKS
keyslot (via libtokentube.so). I don't like this approach because it
requires too much tokentube-related logic in mandos - but if you are OK
with it then I am too.

Comments or other ideas?

Yours,
Jürgen