mandos general protection error ...

Teddy Hogeborn teddy at fukt.bsnet.se
Fri Jan 30 10:55:34 CET 2009

Dick Middleton <dick at fouter.net> writes:

>> On another note; I suspect from clues in the strace logs that you're
>> not using ext3.  What file system are you using?
>
> Mostly I use xfs but I'm fairy sure emu is ext3 (it's not running
> right now).  That would be consistent with the results if problem
> was file system type.

I don't think it's very likely, it's just something I noticed.

> geronimo and loco are both Via C3 processor (mini-itx) - that seems
> to me to be just as likely to have an effect as fs type and it would
> be consistent with observations too as failing server has always
> been on one of those.

Hmm, that is certainly possible.

>> We haven't tested installing a system with something like xfs, so
>> if you have a sid system using ext3 you could test on,
>
> No I don't but I can probably create a ext3 partition to run it in.
> Any problem with any of md, lvm, or luks?

No, we have both LVM and LUKS on one of the systems, and that worked,
so md should not affect it, I suppose.

>> I also see that penguin and nova are not freshly installed sid or
>> lenny systems, but are upgraded from etch or older.
>
> Penguin started life as Debian 3.1 and has been through many
> upgrades of h/w and s/w.  Nova is a bit newer, always unstable but
> pre-sid.
>
> [...] geronimo was etch and is now lenny.

Same for one of our machines here where everything works fine.

>>  Do you have a
>> freshly installed lenny/sid system to test on?
>
> Loco and emu are both recent, otherwise not easily but I'll think
> about it.

If it's too much work then postpone it until we have nothing else left
to test.

You might try to do a fresh install of sid in a QEMU or equivalent (on
a fast machine).  This might reveal if the problem is the CPU like you
suggested.

/Teddy Hogeborn

- --
The Mandos Project