mandos general protection error ...

Dick Middleton dick at fouter.net
Fri Jan 23 22:14:22 CET 2009

Teddy Hogeborn wrote:

> Thanks.  I'll look at it in some more detail later.  But here's
> something I found:
>
> [pid 31328] --- SIGSEGV (Segmentation fault) @ 0 (0) ---
>
> That is worrying.  It's *Python*; it's not supposed to do that.

I saw that too.  Matches error in syslog:

Jan 23 20:58:03 Geronimo kernel: [861794.318211] python[32636] general
protection ip:b7a6b4bc sp:bf995494 error:0 in libgcrypt.so.11.4.4[b7a49000+66000]

Sometimes it says mandos - not sure why the difference - maybe depends whether
running foreground or detached.

>> I also have to set neighbours for the ipv6 nodes - I'm sure that
>> should be automatic - must be something missing.
>
> What do you mean, "set neighbours"?  I do not know what you are
> talking about.

IPv6 equiv of arp apparently.  Don't worry about it now.  I'm a bit confused
about ipv6 at the moment and am poking everything everywhere.

> But anyway, I thought of something else.  You use "--interface br0" (a
> channel bonding device) with mandos-client.  You're aware, right, that
> this will not work in the initial RAM disk environment?

I wasn't but it's not a problem.  It's a bit legacy, there's only one interface
on it now anyway.  Doh!  Generally I'd think once mandos has got the password
the network can be reconfigured.

> In fact, this could be at least part of the problem which you are
> having.

No I don't think so.  My other system is pretty normal and that shows all the
same symptoms.

This gpg thing is the showstopper; ipv6 and avahi are looking manageable now.

Thanks for your suggestions and patience.

Dick