From mourad at aquazul.com Sat Apr 6 16:10:53 2013 From: mourad at aquazul.com (Mourad De Clerck) Date: Sat, 06 Apr 2013 16:10:53 +0200 Subject: dealing with workstations/servers in standby? Message-ID: <51602CED.9020509@aquazul.com> Hi, If I understand correctly, the mandos-server decides to not trust the client anymore after it has been offline for a while. Is there any way of automatically dealing with servers or workstations which are put in standby (or switched off even) to save power? I'm guessing it'd be possible to have a checker access a secret on the encrypted volume to verify the encrypted volume is still unlocked when it "comes back", and thus trustworthy. So as long as the box is woken up and checked by the mandos-server before rebooting, it'd automatically reboot. Trouble is that (I'm assuming) if the checker failed in the first place, it won't re-enable the client after the checker starts succeeding again - even if the checker is smarter than fping. Is this correct? The other case, when it comes to workstations that have been switched off for a longer period (let's say, over the weekend), is there any scheme that might keep a semblance of security? Thanks, -- Mourad